Wheelchair Skills :
Because most SCI patients rely on wheelchairs for mobility, they should be provided with one that fits and adjusts appropriately as soon as they begin out-of-bed activities.
To improve the individual's ability to safely and effectively use a wheelchair
The purpose of these activities is to overcome barriers in the environment and to thereby permit the wheelchair user to fulfill his/her desired role in society
Other potential benefits of wheelchair-skills training for wheelchair users and caregivers include fewer acute and overuse injuries, improved sense of wellbeing (through self-esteem, self-efficacy, confidence and personal control), improved development (of children) and having fun
Improve quality of life.
WHAT ARE WHEELCHAIR SKILLS?
- Pressure relief
- Rolling: Backwards, forwards, rolling on soft surfaces
- Turning: Turn in place, turn sideways, turn while moving
- Transfers: Level transfer
- Fold and unfold wheelchairs
- Going through doorways and obstacles
- Ramps: Ascend and descend ramps, rolling across side slopes
- Curbs: Ascend and descend curbs
ADVANCED WHEELCHAIR SKILLS:
- Transfers: Wheelchair to ground
- Picking up objects from floor while sitting on wheelchair
- Stairs: Ascend and descend stairs
- Wheelie dependent skills.